Grosseto and plain

Grosseto, if it were not for the historic center enclosed by the mighty hexagonal wall circle erected by the Medici between 1574 and 1593, could be called a modern city.  It is located near the right bank of the Ombrone, just 12 kilometers from the sea – Marina di Grosseto  – and 30 kilometers from Mount Amiata. Its history inevitably intertwines with that of  maremman reclamation. After the conquest of  the Sienese Republic in order to gain control over the extraction of maremma salt, the decay of the city plagued by pestilence and malaria began, followed by a sharp demographic decline. In 1559 with the rule of the powerful Florentine Medici   family things improved. The transformation of the stands and bulwarks into streets and public gardens, are instead the work of the last Grand Duke of Tuscany,  Leopold II, and dates back tothe early 1800s, the years of the Bitter Maremma.

The visit of Grosseto can start from Piazza Dante Alighieri  (or Piazza delle Catene, as it is nicknamed by grossetani because of columns and chains that border the same), the heart of the city, in the center of which is the statue of Canapone, sculpted in 1846 by Luigi Magi, depicts Grand Duke Leopold II of Lorraine in the act of crushing with his right foot a snake symbol of malaria, with a griffin next to him, his dying children and a woman who rises, symbol of the Maremma reborn after the reclamation. It overlooks the  Palazzo della Provincia or Palazzo Aldobrandeschi (once the castle of the powerful feudal family of the Aldobrandeschi), rebuilt in the early 1900s in neo-Gothic style, the right side of the 14th-century cathedral, several times restored (the façade is from the first half of the 1800s) and the terracotta bell tower. Inside the Cathedral of Grosseto, the Cathedral of San Lorenzo, you can admire various valuableworks, including a large baptismal font and the altar of the Madonna delle Grazie, works by Antonio Ghini of the late 1400s, a table with the Madonna delle Grazie of the fifteenth century, a work by Matteo di Giovanni of the fifteenth century, an image much venerated by Grossetans.